We have an exciting program for you this year in San Francisco! The program co-chairs Carolyn Stevenson and Kate McCoy report that the competition for spots on the program was fierce this year. We had 25 session submissions, but were only able to accept 6. We had 78 paper submissions, but were only able to accept 33. Papers and sessions went through a rigorous review process. What you see on the program are those receiving the highest ratings from the peer review panel. Outside of that process, we decided to include two invited sessions to appeal especially to graduate students — the session on excellence in dissertation research and the Fireside Chat on methodological emancipation. We hope you find this year’s offerings challenging, inspiring, and entertaining!
Special Sessions — Focus on Graduate Students:
- Contesting Ourselves: “Determining Excellence” in Qualitative Dissertation Research, with Mark Vagle, Lisa Loutzenheiser, Joseph Maxwell, David Eric Archer, Debora Hinderliter Ortloff, and Adrienne Dixson
- Sun, Apr 28 — 10:35am — 12:05pm, Hilton Union Square, Sixth Level — Tower 3 Lombard
- Methodological Emancipation: Fireside Chat for Graduate Students, with Cynthia B. Dillard, Monique Antoinette Guishard, Mirka E. Koro-Ljungberg, Lisa (Leigh) Patel Patel, Jerry L. Rosiek, Eve Tuck. Organized by Diedre Houchen and Melanie Acosta.
- Tue, Apr 30 — 10:20am — 11:50am, Grand Hyatt, Ballroom Level – Redwood
- Working “the Glow”: Reconceptualizing Data With/as the Deleuzian Event, with Maggie MacLure, Lisa Mazzei, Elizabeth Mary Jones, and Rachel Holmes.
- Sat, Apr 27 — 2:15pm — 3:45pm, Grand Hyatt, Ballroom Level — Redwood
- Methodologies That Move: Circus and Celebration of Unthinkable Qualitative Inquiry, with Mirka Koro-Ljungberg, Aaron Kuntz, Kate McCoy, Ryan Evely Gildersleeve, and Robert Donmoyer
- Sun, Apr 28 — 8:15am — 9:45am, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Carmel
- Visualizing Bodies in Space and Place: Methodological Challenges in Researching Young Femininities, Masculinities, and Sexualities, with Michael Kehler, Jessica Ringrose, Emma Renold, and Marnina Gonick.
- Sun, Apr 28 — 12:25pm — 1:55pm, Grand Hyatt, Second Level — Belvedere
- Pedagogical Narrations as a Methodology for Qualitative Educational Research, with Denise Hodgins, Sherry Rose, Deborah Anne Thompson, and Pam Whitty
- Mon, Apr 29 — 10:35am — 12:05pm, Grand Hyatt, Theatre Level — Orpheum
- Beyond Reflexivity and Advocacy: Toward the Ontological Turn in Social Inquiry, with Patti Lather, Jerry Rosiek, Alecia Youngblood Jackson, Lisa Mazzei, and Scott Pratt
- Tue, Apr 30 — 8:00am — 10:00am, Grand Hyatt, Ballroom Level – Redwood
- From Working the Ruins to Promiscuity: Continuing the Conversation on the Future of Feminist Methodology, with Sara Childers, Becky Atkinson, Stephanie Daza, Jeong-Eun Rhee, and Francyne Huckaby
- Tue, Apr 30 — 12:10pm — 1:40pm, Hotel Nikko, Third Level — Nikko I
New Media in Qualitative Research, Sat, Apr 27 — 12:00pm — 1:30pm, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Empire
Methodological Questions in Qualitative Research, Sun, Apr 28 — 10:35am — 12:05pm, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Empire
Teachers and Children in Qualitative Research, Sun, Apr 28 — 2:15pm — 3:45pm, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level — Empire
Language, Discourse in Qualitative Research, Mon, Apr 29 — 8:15am — 9:45am, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Empire
Self, Identity, Reflexivity, Voice in Qualitative Research, Tue, Apr 30 — 5:05pm — 6:35pm, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level — Empire
Focus on Methods in Qualitative Research, Wed, May 1 — 8:15am — 9:45am, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Empire
The Trouble With Data, Wed, May 1 — 12:25pm — 1:55pm, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Empire
Theory in Qualitative Research, Wed, May 1 — 2:15pm — 3:45pm, Sir Francis Drake, Second Level – Empire
Special thanks are extended to 2013 Reviewers. Your willingness to dedicate time and effort reviewing the proposals is greatly appreciated.
Matiul Alam, Becky M. Atkinson, Eric Bernstein, Sari K. Biklen, Felice D. Billups, Chris Brkich, Sara M. Childers, Randall F. Clemens, Shelley K. Erickson, Lance D. Fusarelli, Lisa DeAnn Garcia, Ryan Evely Gildersleeve, Jenny Gordon, Judith L. Green, Michael G. Gunzenhauser, Valerie J. Janesick, Patrick M. Jenlink, Laura M. Jewett, Mirka E. Koro-Ljungberg, Hillevi Lenz Taguchi, Lisa W. Loutzenheiser, Joseph A. Maxwell, Lisa A. Mazzei, Wanda Pillow, Marleen Carol Pugach, Jeong-Eun Rhee, Jerry L. Rosiek, Kathryn J. Roulston, Jenifer J. Schneider, Audra Skukauskaite, Mark D. Vagle, Jennifer R. Wolgemuth, K. Wayne Yang.